What are UTM parameters?
UTM parameters, or Urchin Traffic Monitor parameters (UTM), are URL parameters used by marketers to track audiences. The parameters enable marketers to analyze the effectiveness of marketing campaigns across traffic sources and published media.
By adding UTM parameters to URLs, web analytics software (e.g. Google Analytics) reports show which domain source and which campaign name is bringing traffic to a website. When a person clicks a link that contains a URL with UTM parameters, the web analytics software of the destination website interprets the parameter information and attributes it to the person's website session.
How to create a URL containing UTM parameters
If you want to trigger a message to your leads and customers, you can manually create this kind of URL respecting several criteria, such as adding at least a campaign source in the URL to help you distinguish which source this traffic is from; for example: “https://get.slaask.com/?utm_source=GoogleAdwords.” You can also just simply use this tool: Campaign URL builder to help you create this type of URL.
- If you want to trigger messages to your leads/customers who come to your website from a Google Adwords campaign, and if you are using the Campaign URL builder, you can enter “Google Adwords” in the field called “Campaign Source.”
- If you want to trigger messages to your leads/customers who come to your website from a Facebook campaign, in the Campaign URL builder, you can enter “Facebook” in the field called “Campaign Source.”
How to trigger messages to leads/customers who come from specific traffic sources
At Slaask, you can trigger a specific message to your leads and customers who come to your website(s) and/or your mobile apps from any specific SEO, SEM, or social media marketing source.
As an example, you can trigger a specific message to your leads and customers who come from your Google Adwords campaign, your Facebook ad campaign, your Twitter ad campaign, and/or your Linkedin ad campaign.
To do so:
- First, you should define which web pages on your website you want to use in your Facebook/Google Adwords/Twitter/Linkedin ad campaigns.
- Second, you should manually add UTM parameters to the URL of these web pages, or simply use this tool to create a URL containing UTM parameters: Campaign URL builder.
- Third, you should use the URL containing the UTM parameters in your Facebook/Google Adwords/Twitter/Linkedin ad campaigns.
- Finally, when you add a condition to a trigger on your Slaask account, select “URL” from the condition list and make it match this URL (the URL you are using in the campaign that includes the UTM parameters).
Here is how it looks on Slaask:
Here are a few links to show you how to add UTM parameters to your Facebook/Google Adwords/Twitter/Linkedin ad campaigns: